FLORAL WATERS: REFRESHING, HYDRATING, AND SOOTHING ELIXIR FOR SKIN CARE AND HAIR CARE
- Floral Waters are smooth blends of aromatic Essential Oils and Absolutes into pure distilled water.
- Emitting the alluring aroma profile of Essential Oils and Absolutes, Floral Waters are much milder and are safe to apply directly onto the skin.
- Floral Waters are enriched with the beneficial properties of Essential Oils, making them versatile for use in skin care, hair care, body care, and for cleaning around the home.
- In the skin care industry, Floral Waters are gaining recognition for their brightening, cleansing, toning, and hydrating properties and are replacing toners in many skin care regimes.
- Floral Waters are natural and free from any synthetic fragrance, making them a preferred choice for adding aromas to a variety of natural cosmetic formulations.
HISTORICAL USES OF FLORAL WATERS
Floral waters have been used for an array of purposes such as skin care, fragrance, and traditional medicine for thousands of years. The first floral waters are believed to have been distilled from the first clay still, found in Pakistan, dating as far back as 5,000 years ago. Floral waters continued to increase in popularity, and chemist Nicolas Lemery described more than 200 varieties in commerce by the 18th century. In Ayurveda, Rose Water was believed to be an effective antiseptic eyewash for improving vision, stress reliever, and preventing infections. Rose and sandalwood waters have also been used in India since the Mughal Era to make fragrant attars. Meanwhile, Geranium Floral Water has been used traditionally to treat skin troubled by eczema, especially weepy type eczema.
Floral Waters have also been an integral part of Ancient social, religious, and spiritual practices. In the eastern Mediterranean, Neroli Floral Water was used as a welcoming ritual before meals by washing the hands of honored guests. In Iran, Rose Water is considered a gentle wash in holy spaces, while in southern India, Rose Water is a part of a wedding ritual to bless the newly wedded couple at the end of the ceremony. Floral Waters were popular and commonly used up until the mid '700s. Then, with the introduction of Essential Oils around 1840, Floral Waters fell off the radar since the same equipment and distillation process are used to produce Essential Oils.
BENEFITS OF FLORAL WATERS
Floral Waters possess a vast versatility due to the unique aromatic profile and their antioxidant, anti-inflammatory properties. With richer constituents than traditional toners, Floral Waters are suitable for a variety of skin types and are slowly assuming the role of toners in many skin care regimens. Floral Waters are milder alternatives to their Essential Oil counterparts, while still possessing the same essences of the plant of origin. Some of the many other benefits of Floral Waters include:
Hydrating and cooling for dry and sensitive skin.
Mild and safe enough for use on baby's skin.
Possessing gentle cleansing properties – Floral Waters help remove dirt and impurities from the skin.
Enhancing emollient properties in skincare routines - when applied prior to moisturizer, floral waters can lock in moisture, making this step more hydrating and effective.
Suitable for all skin types - With an abundance of antioxidant and antiseptic properties, Floral Waters are beneficial for dry, acne-prone, sensitive, and mature skin types.
A GUIDE TO FLORAL WATERS
Botanical Name: Chamaemelum nobile
Constituents: Geraniol, Linalool, Borneone, Camphor, Cineole (Ketones), Methylchavicol, Eugeneol (Phenols), Ocimene, Pinene, Slyvestrene (Terpenes).
- Possess relaxing properties that are soothing to the skin and senses.
- Be antiseptic and astringent, giving this Floral Water a cleansing and toning effect.
Botanical Name: Eucalyptus globulus
- Purify acne/oily skin.
- Soothe and relieve congestion, swelling, and irritation.
- Exude an invigorating, refreshing, and cooling effect on the senses.
- Possess cleansing properties for the hair and the skin.
- Be antibacterial and can treat minor cuts and insect bites.
Botanical Name: Helichrysum italicum
- Tone and illuminate dull and tired skin.
- Be brightening and radiating, providing a healthy sheen to the hair and the skin.
- Possess effective anti-inflammatory properties.
- Can help treat mild topical cuts, burns, and bruises.
Botanical Name: Lavendula angustofolia
- Be anti-bacterial and soothing when applied to acne/blemish-prone skin.
- Possess a mild fragrance that can be relaxing to the senses, making Lavender Floral Water ideal for nighttime use.
- Be anti-bacterial, making it beneficial for acne/blemish prone skin.
Botanical Name: Cymbopogon flexuosus
Constituents: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Magnesium.
- Soothes the skin that is troubled by irritation, mild acne, and inflammation.
- Reduce the appearance of pores.
- Promote strong skin tissues.
- Promote strong hair follicles.
Botanical Name: Citrus aurantium
- Be beneficial for sensitive and mature skin types, gently toning the complexion while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Possess astringent properties, making this Floral Water also ideal for oily skin.
- Potentially treat the appearance of scars and stretch marks.
Botanical Name: Mentha piperata
Constituents: Benzyl Alcohol, Citral, Eugenol, Geraniol, Farnesol, Citronellol, d-limonene.
- Have a hydrating, refreshing, and reinvigorating effect.
- Support the skin's regeneration process and elasticity.
- Have a noticeably cooling effect when applied topically, making this Floral Water ideal for after-sun care.
- Behave as an effective bug repellent.
Botanical Name: Pelargonium graveolens
- Restore balance in the skin's natural secretions.
- Be hydrating for dry skin and smoothing for oily skin.
- Reduce the appearance of cellulite and other signs of aging.
- Be soothing when applied to eczema, sunburns, and inflamed skin.
Botanical Name: Rose damascene
Active Constituents: Benzyl Alcohol, Citral, Eugenol, Geraniol, Farnesol, Citronellol, d-limonene.
- Be suitable for sensitive skin due to its gentle nature.
- Calm the skin that has been troubled by inflammation and redness.
- Maintain pH balance.
- Support the regeneration process.
- Soothe mild acne and sunburns.
Botanical Name: Rosmarinus offinalis
Active Constituents: Linalool, Borneone, Camphor, Cineol (Ketones), Methylchavicol, Eugeneol (Phenols), Ocimene, Pinene, Slyvestrene (Terpenes).
- Be mildly astringent and absorb excess oil.
- Stimulate the scalp and encourage blood flow to the roots, thus encouraging hair growth.
- Add a healthy shine when applied to the hair.
Botanical Name: Sandalum album
- Support tissue renewal, making suitable for all skin types and conditions.
- Treat mild rashes and inflammation.
- Regulate oil production when applied as a facial mist.
- Be antibacterial and deodorizing.
Botanical Name: Mentha spicata
- Have antifungal properties and has been used historically to treat fungal infections such as Athlete's foot.
- Reduce redness and swelling.
- Have a cooling effect similar to Peppermint Floral Water.
- Act as an effective natural pest repellent due to its pungent aroma.
Botanical Name: Melaleuca alternifolia
Active Constituents: Linalool, Borneone, Camphor, Cineole (Ketones), Methylchavicol, Eugeneol (Phenols), Ocimene, Pinene, Slyvestrene (Terpenes).
- Treat mild acne due to its anti-bacterial properties.
- Balance the skin's tone and keep pores clear and uncongested.
- Tighten skin and remove excess oil.
- Be naturally moisturizing for dry skin patches.
Botanical Name: Cananga oderata
Active Constituents: Benzoic (Acid), Farnesol, Geraniol, Linalool (Alcohols), Benzy acetate (Ester), Eugenol, Safrole (Phenols), Cadinene (Sesquiterpene), Pinene (Terpene).
- Promote healthy hair growth and moisturize dry hair and scalp.
- Be an effective, natural treatment for skin issues such as eczema, acne, and oily skin.
- Support skin's hydration and suppleness.
- Also treat topical sores such as insect bites.
FLORAL WATER USES
These beautiful Floral Waters are versatile enough for everyday use and are adaptable to any natural recipe. This makes the possibilities endless for these aromatic liquids. In many skin care regimens, Floral Waters can be used in place of a toner to cleanse, hydrate, and balance the skin's pH levels. Moisten a cotton pad and apply to the face after cleansing and before applying moisturizer for a noticeably radiant complexion. NDA's selection of Floral Waters possess skin enhancing constituents that can be beneficial for all skin types, so choosing the water that is most suitable for your skin care should be simple. On an especially hot day, cooling Floral Waters such as Peppermint, Spearmint, and Eucalyptus can be sprayed directly onto the skin as a refreshing mist.
Floral Waters are also highly beneficial for the hair and scalp, with potential to stimulate the follicle and promote new growth. For a nourishing hair tonic that delivers brilliant shine, spray the Floral Water in between the shampooing and conditioning steps, then rinse out. The aromatic Floral Water can also be applied to dry hair after styling to add shine and fragrance to strands. Rosemary and Ylang Ylang are known to moisturize dry hair and scalp while nourishing the roots. Spray directly to the scalp and massage into the roots to encourage healthy hair growth.
Along with their beatifying properties, Floral Waters such as Ylang Ylang, Spearmint, and Peppermint have a strong scent profile that can act as a natural pest or bug repellent. The astringent, antiseptic qualities of Eucalyptus make this Floral Water an effective treatment for bug bites, as well as for mild cuts and sores.
Since they are equally as beneficial yet, much milder than their Essential Oil counterparts, Floral Waters, namely Chamomile, is believed to be gentle enough for use on a baby's sensitive skin. Chamomile Floral Water can be incorporated into a bath or into homemade wet wipes.
Due to their fluid, versatile nature and their unique aroma profile, Floral Waters are a great addition to any natural skin and hair care product. Choose the Floral Water based on your desired results and add it to cleansers, toners, creams, lotions, soaps, shampoos, and conditioners for an aromatic formulation that is nourishing to the skin, hair, and the body.
CONTRAINDICATIONS OF FLORAL WATERS
As with all other New Directions Aromatics products, Floral Waters are for external use only unless otherwise stated. Some individuals may experience cause skin irritation or allergic reactions when exposed to these products. For this reason, NDA recommends performing a skin patch test prior to using the product. To conduct a patch test, spray the Floral Water once onto skin that is not already sensitive. In the event of an adverse reaction, immediately stop using the product and seek guidance from a healthcare professional.
New Directions Aromatics Inc.
All rights reserved.