ESSENTIAL OILS AND CARRIER OILS FOR HEALTHY AND STRONG NAILS
Along with skincare and hair care, looking after your nails is equally as important. Whether you regularly receive extravagant and bedazzled manicures, simply paint your favorite-colored nail polish over them, or keep them short and plain, upkeeping hand and nail health can go a long way. Our hands are tools we use every day to touch, feel, respond, and navigate the world around us. So naturally, our nails are bound to experience some wear and tear. Since our hands and fingers are so used to doing an array of tasks, the nails may also bear the brunt of bad habits such as nail biting, using them in place of tools such as screwdrivers and picks, and simply neglecting to upkeep them.
Like the hair and the skin, the condition of the nails acts as an indicator of our overall health. Symptoms such as brittle nails, breakage, spooning, yellowing, splitting, and discoloration can signify an underlying health issue. Since ancient times, nails have been used as a diagnostic tool to indicate any diseases lurking under the surface. Luckily, with the right Essential Oils, Carrier Oils, and a few minutes each day, you can significantly improve the appearance of your nails and support their health, strength, and shine.
THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SUPPORTING HEALTHY NAILS
Lavender Essential Oil - This relaxing Essential Oil is ideal for blending with a carrier oil and soaking finger and toenails! Lavender possesses moisturizing properties that nourish dry cuticles and replenish lackluster nails. For brittle nails prone to breakage and splitting, Lavender's fortifying properties can help rebuild strength and prevent further damage.
Lemon Essential Oil - Lemon Essential Oil is reputed to harden nails as well as treat peeling and damage. Lemon Oil's rich Antioxidant profile also replenishes dry cuticles when applied with a moisturizing carrier oil.
Rosemary Essential Oil - Possesses moisturizing and disinfecting properties, Rosemary is a beautifying essential oil that can be used for an array of aesthetic purposes. To help maintain healthy nails, Rosemary Essential Oil is believed to rehydrate dry cuticles and replenish moisture and shine in the nails. Rosemary's antifungal properties may also help treat minor fungal infections.
Tea Tree Essential Oil - Tea Tree Oil can improve the appearance of fingernails and toenails with its conditioning and antiseptic properties. Tea Tree can be used to improve the appearance of discoloration, while also conditioning the nail and cuticle.
Geranium Essential Oil - Geranium helps moisturize nails and cuticles while promoting healthy and strong nail growth. Its antibacterial and antiseptic properties also protect the cuticles and nails from fungus and infections, which can hinder proper nail growth.
Frankincense Essential Oil - Frankincense has a history of being used to promote nail growth. Its antifungal properties help fight fungi that can slow down nail growth, while its moisturizing properties treat and prevent peeling in the cuticle.
Myrrh Essential Oils - Myrrh is hailed as one of the best essential oils for keeping nails healthy and strong. It is believed to protect nails from becoming brittle and thin, enhancing their resistance to breakage.
CARRIER OILS THAT PROMOTE NAIL HEALTH
Carrot Carrier Oil (Macerated) - High in vitamins and minerals, this oil infuses macerated Carrot in Sunflower Oil and Vitamin E.
Grapeseed Carrier Oil - Rich in Vitamins C, D, E, Fatty Acids, and Polyphenols, Grapeseed Oil reduces the appearance of premature aging, keeping nails and hands looking beautiful.
Avocado Carrier Oil - Contains Vitamins A, B1, B2, D, E, and Beta Carotene. Avocado Oil absorbs slowly and leaves a healthy glow on hands and nails.
Rosehip Carrier Oil - Rich in Vitamin E and Essential Fatty Acids, including Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) and a-Linolenic Acid (Omega 3). Rosehip Oil is a non-greasy emollient that will replenish cracked cuticles and reveal healthy nails.
Jojoba Carrier Oil - Abundant in Vitamin E, which replenishes skin and treats weak and brittle nails. Jojoba Oil also helps repair collagen loss within the nail beds, promoting healthy nail growth.
RECIPES FOR HEALTHY AND STRONG NAILS
1. DIY NAIL STRENGTHENING SERUM (source: Loving Essential Oils)
- 6 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 6 drops Myrrh Essential Oil
- 1 oz Rosehip Carrier Oil
- 2-3 drops (0.2%) Vitamin E Raw Material (MT-50 Full Spectrum)
- 1 oz dropper bottle
- Add essential oils to the dropper bottle.
- Follow with 2-3 drops of Vitamin E Raw Material.
- Fill the rest of the dropper bottle with Rosehip Oil.
- Place a few drops onto a cotton ball and rub over nails to soften cuticles and strengthen nails.
2. NOURISHING NAIL OIL (Source: Rocky Mountain Oils)
- 15 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 10 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 4 drops Myrrh Essential Oil
- 1 tbsp Almond Oil
- 1 tbsp Jojoba Oil
- 2 oz amber glass bottle with dropper top
- Add the oils to the glass bottle and screw on the top. Shake the formula vigorously for up to 2 minutes to ensure the oils are completely blended.
- Keep the bottle in a dry location away from direct sunlight that is between 60- and 80- degrees Fahrenheit (between 15.5- and 26.6- degrees Celsius) for 24 hours so the oils can fully synergize.
- Apply 1 drop to each nail and massage with a tissue or cloth for up to 1 minute. For best results, use nightly prior to bedtime and follow with a moisturizer.
3. CLEAN NAIL OIL (Rocky Mountain Oil)
- 5 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 1 drop Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
- 2 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 1/2 ounce Calendula Herbal Oil
- Dark glass dropper bottle
- Add ingredients to the dropper bottle and shake gently to blend.
- Apply the formula to the nail area 2-3 times a day to soften nail beds and maintain nail health.
4. NAIL STRENGTHENER (Source: Rocky Mountain Oils)
- 1 tbsp Avocado Carrier Oil
- 2 tbsp Grapeseed Carrier Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Jojoba Carrier Oil
- 3 drops Carrot Seed Carrier Oil
- 8 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 2 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 3 drops Myrrh Essential Oil
- Dark glass bottle
- Place all ingredients into a dark glass bottle and shake gently.
- Add 10 drops of the formula to 1 teaspoon of Avocado Oil and massage generously into nails and cuticles.
- Recommended for use after a manicure. However, avoid applying nail polish for 24 hours.
5. NOURISHING HAND AND NAIL CREAM (source: Base Formula)
- 100 mL Premium Lotion Cosmetic Base
- 1 mL Argan Carrier Oil
- 1 mL Jojoba Carrier Oil
- 1 mL Hemp Seed Carrier Oil
- 1 mL Macadamia Carrier Oil
- 4 drops Benzoin
- 4 drops Ginger Essential Oil
- 4 drops Patchouli Essential Oil
- 6 drops Sandalwood Essential Oil
- 6 drops Geranium Essential Oil
- Glass bottle with pump
- Mix the Carrier Oils and Essential Oils with the Premium Lotion base evenly. Then, place into bottle and seal with pump.
- Apply to hands, focusing on the cuticles and nail beds.
6. WHITENING PASTE (source: Base Formula)
- 1 tbsp Premium Lotion Cosmetic Base
- 2 tsp Kaolin Clay
- 3 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 2 drops Benzoin Resinoid
- Glass bowl and spoon for mixing
- Mix the Kaolin Clay into the Premium Lotion Base and mix until it forms a paste reminiscent to buttercream.
- Add the Lemon Essential Oil and Benzoin Resinoid and mix well.
- Gently buff the paste into the nails and rinse clean.
OTHER WAYS TO SUPPORT HEALTHY AND STRONG NAILS
Rule out any potential Vitamin deficiencies - If you notice any changes in the appearance of your nails and are concerned about any underlying deficiencies, speak to your health care provider to get to the root of any issues. That way, you can be proactive about ensuring you are getting enough through food or supplements.
Break any habits that are wreaking havoc on your nails - Bad habits, such as biting nails or using them to scrape or screw everyday surfaces, are hard to break. However, it will be better for you and your nails, in the long run, to ween off compulsive behaviors that can ruin the appearance of the nails.
Protect your nails from everyday wear and tear - This includes always wearing a rubber glove to protect your nails and hands from the warm water and dish soap, which can dry out your cuticles and weaken your nails.
Take a few minutes each day to practice good nail hygiene - To promote optimal nail health and strength, simply massage your favorite combination of essential oils and carrier oils into your nail beds. Do this once a day to see optimal results.
CONTRAINDICATIONS FOR ESSENTIAL OILS AND CARRIER OILS
All New Directions Aromatics Essential Oils are for external use only. They should not be ingested and should not be stored within the reach of children, in case of accidental ingestion. As with essential and carrier oils, a patch test should be conducted on the inner arm or another generally insensitive area of skin, using a dime-sized amount of the specified oil to check for sensitivities. An absence of an allergic response within 48 hours suggests that the oil is safe to use.
The topical application of most carrier oils is generally known to be safe with responsible use, but irritations, allergies, rashes, and other side effects are possible. In the chance of an allergic reaction, discontinue the use of the product and see a doctor, pharmacist, or allergist immediately for a health assessment and appropriate remedial action. To prevent side effects, consult with a medical professional prior to use.
Essential or carrier oils must never be used near the eyes, inner nose, and ears, or on any other particularly sensitive areas of skin.
- HOW TO MAKE CANDLES: THE ULTIMATE BEGINNER'S GUIDE
- A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO SOAP-MAKING FOR BEGINNERS
- STEP-BY-STEP GUIDES TO MAKING YOUR OWN NATURAL MOISTURIZERS, BUTTERS, AND LOTIONS
- ENCHANTING ESSENTIAL OILS FOR VALENTINE'S DAY
- TOP 10 ESSENTIAL OILS FOR THE COLD WEATHER
- TRAVEL ESSENTIALS: MUST-HAVE ESSENTIAL OIL BLENDS FOR TRAVEL
- KID-FRIENDLY PRODUCTS: ESSENTIAL OILS & CARRIER OILS
- TOP 10 ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SPRING TO REFRESH, UPLIFT, & BOOST IMMUNITY
- TOP 10 BENEFITS OF NATURAL SHAMPOOS AND CONDITIONERS
- HOW TO ACHIEVE FLAWLESS HAND HYGIENE
- HOW TO MAKE DIY CREAMS & LOTIONS FOR DRY HANDS
- EVERYTHING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT COSMETIC GMP (GOOD MANUFACTURING PRACTICES)
- MAKING ALL-NATURAL SHAMPOOS: A BEGINNER'S GUIDE
- ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SLEEP
- ESSENTIAL OILS FOR HAIR
- A COMPLETE GUIDE TO ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SKIN
- BLENDING AND DILUTING ESSENTIAL OILS
- BEST NATURAL INGREDIENTS FOR HEALTHY HAIR
- THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS AND CARRIER OILS FOR A BODY MASSAGE
- SKIN AND HAIR CARE FOR HARD WATER IMPACT
- ESSENTIAL OILS FOR MEDITATION AND SPIRITUAL PRACTICES
- PHOTOTOXICITY AND SAFETY USING ESSENTIAL OILS
- THE BEST NATURAL ALTERNATIVES FOR PETROLEUM JELLY
- ESSENTIAL OILS TO SUPPORT WOMEN'S HEALTH
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS FOR WINTER SKIN CARE
- DIY CHRISTMAS CANDLE GIFT IDEAS
- DIY CHRISTMAS SOAP RECIPES
- BEST ESSENTIAL OIL DIFFUSER BLENDS FOR THE HOLIDAYS
- THE BEST ENERGY BOOSTING ESSENTIAL OILS
- ESSENTIAL OILS FOR TREATING COLD SYMPTOMS
- PERFUME SCENTS IN FAVORITE FRAGRANCES
- HOW TO EXFOLIATE YOUR FACE AT HOME
- 6 ESSENTIAL OILS THAT IMPROVE INDOOR AIR QUALITY
- GLYCERIN SOAP: BENEFITS, DRAWBACKS AND TIPS
New Directions Aromatics Inc.
All rights reserved.